Have You Been Arrested?
Learn what you should do!
If you or a loved one has been arrested for any type of crime, there are several actions you must take in order to maximize the chances of a successful defense against the charges involved in the case, as well as things you need to avoid. The most important thing you can do at this point is to secure legal representation and speak with a knowledgeable attorney from our team so that you know your rights and are prepared for what is coming.
As soon as you are a suspect in a criminal investigation, you need to be extremely careful not to say or do anything that could further incriminate you and add to the evidence against you.
Some of the most important things to remember after arrest are:
- Assert your right to remain silent; only ask for a lawyer.
- Give only your name, address, and telephone number and the names, numbers, and addresses of your immediate family and your employer. This information is necessary to set your bail.
- You have the right to make one call to a family member, lawyer, or organization, and consider that the phone line may be tapped.
- Do not lie to the officers or investigators about your name or basic information.
- Do not be rude or defiant or threaten the officers.
- Make sure you know what charges are being made against you.
- Do not discuss your case with anyone or make any statements without your attorney present.
Protect Your Rights
If you were arrested or if you are in contact with a loved one who is in jail after a recent arrest, it is important to understand that you must not to talk about the case with anyone, from investigators and guards to cell mates. You should ensure that your attorney is present at the first hearing and can speak before the judge.
As soon as possible, you should arrange a consultation with your attorney so that you can work together to find a strategy that lines up with the circumstances of the case and works towards your objectives, whether to seek a reduction in the charges or an acquittal. As soon as the police officer makes the decision to arrest, the gears of the criminal justice system start turning, and you must act fast to prevent a guilty verdict.
Choose Dedicated Defense
The Khawaja Law Firm PLLC can help you fight charges in all types of criminal defense cases, and we are ready to take action as soon as you need us. When you have been arrested for a crime, you have every reason to be worried about your future, but we will fight throughout your case to help you avoid the major negative consequences of a conviction.
You must be aware that any contact you have with investigators or the prosecution after your arrest will expose you to attempts to gather further evidence, so don't delay in speaking with our office and getting started on your defense.